The Anit-Bridal Shower

Saturday, May 23, 2009
How great is my mom? She asked me to come over tonight & she was going to take me shopping to buy me some pans. We didn't have great pans or anything but most of them were the boy's so I have like 1 $3 frying pan & 1 $9 sauce pan from Ikea. Oh - and a Dutch oven that I don't think I've ever used. Mind you, I didn't have any idea where I'd put these pans, but like the rest of this crap piled up around me, I figured eventually I'd find a place.

Anyway, I got in the shower, barely managed a little mascara & partially dried my hair. Now, you all don't really know me but this is not the way I leave the house on a general basis. I get to my mom's house & she's arranged a surprise "anti-bridal shower" with all my friends from my old job & a couple of my other close friends. She said she tried to get my friend from Boston to come but couldn't really swing it. Of course, I say, all the way from Boston. Then she jumps out from the other room. I don't know that I've ever been so happy to see someone. I've known her since I was 5. She's my best friend.

They got me a tiara & made me a a big card telling me I was beautiful & fabulous. They also made a pin the tail on the donkey game with the boy's face on the donkey's ass. They all got me some awesome dishes & a new set of pans. Seriously, how great is that?! I love my friends!

I am so grateful for these people in my life. I don't even work there anymore & they all chipped in to get me some nice pans - even the guys (they didn't come to the shower but they wanted to do something for me). I want to go back to work there so badly but it doesn't seem to be in the cards for me & right now, I need to play the hand I'm dealt. I just adore all of them. I've never worked somewhere where I genuinely liked everyone.

I'm going to spend the day tomorrow with my friend from Boston and our mutual friend Melissa. A few years ago, Melissa's marriage fell apart & she never saw it coming. They'd been together 9 years & only married for 3. She can totally relate to what I'm going through right now so it is so nice to talk with her. We're going to eat crappy food & get pedicures. There is a huge part of me that doesn't feel like doing anything but I know I need to get out & try to have some fun. Forget about my own drama for awhile.

4 comments:

Bumpy Belly said...

Have you considered the possibility that you have the coolest mom ever??? I'm glad you're having fun and making time for crappy food and pedicures - both essential when life gets shitty.

elizabeth said...

Yay for the anti-bridal shower! That is the coolest thing I've heard all week. What an awesome mom and group of friends you have. Too cool!

the un-bride said...

So glad to hear that you have good people in your life taking such excellent care of you. And now you have pretty toes!

Krista said...

you have such amazing people in your life. it's always nice to remember that once in a while and really appreciate them :) i'm very happy for you!

Post a Comment