More about me/us

Saturday, January 24, 2009
As I read all these bridal blogs, I only wish that I could be as excited about this whole process as these other women. I'm just not. Favors, centerpieces, food, photographers, location, gifts, linens - ack! You gotta be kidding me! Why can't I find a place in LA where I can just show up with my dress & a check & be done with it? Like Vegas, but not in Vegas. If I had the money, I'd hire a wedding planner in a hot second. My God those people earn their money!

We are both over 40 & neither of us have been married before so we definitely want it to be special & reflect who we are but we also want it to be reasonable. I think being older gives us a little different perspective & so far, we've been willing to compromise to get what we really want. So it should be pretty easy right? Sure, as long as we don't get caught up in all the BS along the way. That is easier said then done.

We got engaged at the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris, we both love 80's rock & hockey and I want kind of an old Hollywood glamour feel to the whole thing (I love, love, love old pin-up art). Our challenge is to find a way to incorporate all those things in some way.

If anyone has any ides, I'd love to hear them!


Our Details
How we met:
Through a local hockey fansite
First Date: 1/24/03 Mamma D's in Manhattan Beach
My first clue this was "it": On Valentine's day the following month he gave me lingerie. Just so happened it was exactly the outfit I had marked in my Victoria's Secret catalog. It had a significant retro feel to it & I am a freak for old pin-up art & glamour shots. I thought maybe he saw it but I knew he hadn't been around since I got it. Which meant that he actually listened & paid attention to what I said!
My second clue: I had been sober for 11 years at the time & hadn't gone to regular meetings for years. I mentioned that I kinda wished I had gone on my 10th "birthday" so I could have gotten my 10 year chip. Weeks later (I had forgotten all about it), he gave me a little box with - you guessed it - a 10 year chip. Awwww....
Engaged: We were on a family trip in London & decided to do a day trip over to Paris. He proposed at the top of the Eiffel Tower. My whole family was there - it was great.
Wedding Date: Sometime in August 2009. For cost purposes, probably a Friday evening.

0 comments:

Post a Comment